Wednesday, February 9, 2011

What's Wrong With Iowans?

Lizzie and I made a trip over to Starbucks this morning. I broke down and bought a USA Today in case we ran out of conversation. So, thirty seconds after being seated, I opened the newspaper to the section that gives a blurb about some interesting fact from each state for yesterday. The first one I looked at was for Iowa. According to the State Department of Public Safety 76% of the 368 Iowans killed in auto accidents in 2010 were not wearing seat belts. What's up with that? I've been in a couple of pretty serious accidents and from experience know that being a human pin ball inside a killing machine is not a good thing. The old saw about government intrusion in our lives and being tied down inside a car doesn't hold water. Many years ago I had a summer job as a brakeman on a railroad. A vehicle with husband, wife and six kids hit the side of our train engine travelling at 90 mph. That's one case I can honestly say seat belts were unnecessary. Other than that, "Hey Iowans, wake up and smell the coffee"!

No comments: