Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Sinning While Driving

There will be a new subject of table talk around the country tonight. The news outlets are all atwitter about the government proposing a ban on cell phones and texting while driving.
Here are my thoughts on the subject: I don't care if anyone does this as long as they don't crash into my car, maim or kill myself or my wife. This also includes my children and theirs. Plus, the same applies to all relatives, friends and acquaintances. Other than that, no big deal. Besides, it's going to be the same as drunk driving. If you get caught you pay, especially if you cause an accident with fatal consequences. I don't use my cell when I drive for a good reason. People rarely, if ever, call me. A couple of guys call to play golf and my buddy around the corner will give me a shout to come over and watch a game. It's usually double dialing for him since I often don't remember where my cell is hiding and then he calls our 'land line'. I usually leave my cell in the car and every couple of days will look at it to see if the battery is nearly depleted or someone has called. Land line is an interesting use of two words. Its become a part of everyday use in the past few years. I'd wager a quarter I heard it a hundred times before I knew what it was because I didn't want to look stupid by asking what it was. Guess I was stupid, after all.
Texting is something I'll never do. It would be impossible for me to learn all the symbols of letters. A reason cells and texting would be a pain to enforce is because so many kids would be doing it. Did you know kids between the ages of 16-20 are indestructible? They think their car has a shield so that a nuclear bomb couldn't penetrate it. And what about those good looking 'Soccer Moms' driving their big Lexus'? Seriously, have you ever seen one with the woman not on the cell? And do you know why? It's because as important as we think we are, they are macro-mega-important, especially when they have one or two children strapped in the back seat.
My understanding of texting is it's a non-verbal message. Correct me if I'm wrong. It may go like this: "How R U"? Then the recipient of said message texts back: "OK". This would be very important when a teen-ager is driving a car.
I wonder how many high school and college kids text while taking important tests. Somebody sits at home and waits for a question then responds. This, then, would require a male and female proctor to frisk male and female students as they enter and leave the classroom. Why it'd be just like getting on an airplane except you don't leave the ground.
I would expect some kind of government mandate against cell phones and texting to come down the pike but can't figure out how it would be achieved.
Did you know there are more auto accidents involving the driver eating while behind the wheel than from the use of mechanical toys? Look out MacDonalds and Wendys. You are next on the government hit list----as if it'll do any good.

No comments: