Saturday, February 27, 2016

When Women Were Beautiful

We were in the Kansas City area two weeks ago. I took the opportunity, along with my long time friend, to visit his mother. She 89 years old and a pistol. She'll laugh at ribald stories and talk like nobody's business about current events, sports and whatever's on her mind. I love being with her because, even at her age, she's youthful.

We stated talking about current movies and movie stars. The conversation spread to contemporary movie stars; it was difficult coming up with those who would be considered classic beauties.

I looked at my buddy and said, "I wish there were beautiful women on the screen as we had in the 1940's". Evidently, he'd never considered it before and sort of scoffed. I wasn't finished since I immediately ran off a list that made my mouth water thinking about them: Heddy Lamar(invented the forerunner to today's 'Bluetooth' along with radar systems used in WWII) was one of them. What a babe!
Hedy Lamarr

Then there was Ingrid Bergman, Betty Grable with her 'Grable Gams', Rita Hayworth, Irene Dunne, Donna Reed. When most of us think of Bette Davis we think of an old troll as in the movie, 'Whatever Happened to Baby Jane. In the 40's Ms. Davis was stunningly gorgeous.

These were classic women who made our lives more fun by allowing us to escape the realities of WWII. As it is I am watching the movie, Mrs. Miniver, on Turner Classic Movies. It always shows what is called 31 days of the Oscars prior to the Academy Awards. It stars Greer Garson. She was elegant and oh so yummy.

I've taken the opportunity to link some pictures of these women to the computer. You can thank, not Al Gore, but Heddy Lamar for the opportunity.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=list%2c+beautiful+women+of+the+1940s&id=C297A0501BA5861AB073F70DE0AEC1F04DF9164F&FORM=IQFRBA

No comments: