Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Carrie Fisher, George Michael And Others

I have to be the first to admit I didn't lose it when George Michael died. Within minutes, it seems, banner headlines around the world screamed about his demise. I received a Facebook message from a close relative about what a lousy year 2016 had been. Personally, I felt it was a great year for three reasons: The Cubs won the World Series, Hillary lost and I'm still breathing, walking and talking coherently.

Carrie Fisher passed away yesterday. She's the offspring of Debbie Reynolds and Eddie Fisher.  Her big claim to fame was as the heroine of the movie, Star Wars. Once again television, news sites and too numerous to mention news agencies blasted out the story. I didn't check but I have to believe Pravda did the same.

Sorry to say, gang, but my first response was, "Hmmm, Carrie Fisher died".  That's it.There's a reason for this and it's human nature. Older people, like me, don't get that excited about people dying. Why? Because it happens every--single--day. We're used to it. Even when close friends or acquaintances pass on we go through a sadness of reflection but it goes away in a few days. By the time the funeral comes we go to the home, say our good-bye then talk with other visitors about our golf games or a restaurant we visited the night before. Funerals aren't even what they used to be. Seems to me most folks are cremated and the normal modus operandi is a memorial service. If one can't see a body stretched out why even attend?

I remember when Buddy Holly died in a plane crash near Clear Lake, Iowa. When was it, 1959? We were living as a family with my grandfather and I was in the kitchen eating breakfast when the news came on the radio. I was eleven years old and my first thought was, "I need to get to school and tell my friends". But, I didn't go into shock.

I remember the day Elvis passed on. I was in my car listening to a Cub game on WGN when Lou Boudreau, and announcer gave me the news. I went into the Wessling house who I'd come to visit to give them the news. After this life went on.

So, what's the point of this blog? There were a heck of a lot more people who moved on in 2016(3,000 daily in the US give or take a few) than Fisher and Michael but it seems they didn't get the recognition. CBS Sunday always runs a segment on their last show of the year showing those of fame who died. This year it will be on January 1. The Queen makes it mandatory viewing. It's her tradition.

I thought I'd throw in a few who departed in '16 just to whet your whistle.

some of the famous icons the world lost in 2016, including singers David Bowie, Prince and Merle Haggard, songwriters Leonard Cohen and Leon Russell, actors Alan Rickman and Doris Roberts, boxing champ Muhammad Ali, Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, director Garry Marshall, journalists Morley Safer and Gwen Ifill, funny man Garry Shandling, former First Lady Nancy Reagan, and author Harper Lee----and many, many more

No comments: