Monday, March 13, 2023

RIP Bert Parks


Old timers will remember Bert Parks. He was the emcee of the Miss America Pageant from 1955 to 1979. Americans gathered around their television sets to catch a glimpse of the perfect young lady representing America. It isn't that way today. I'm not sure who carries the 'contest' these days. It might be on Univision.

There's another American tradition that has gone by the wayside, I think. The Academy Awards were held last night. I didn't watch it for a couple reasons. I'd only heard of one of the films nominated. It was the Top Gun movie and from what I'd read its chances of winning we nil because it had a patriotic bent to it.

I'm trying to think of the last movie Her Majesty and I attended. It was a few months ago and I recall it having a Christian theme. My favorite films are James Bond ones. I thoroughly enjoyed Daniel Craig as the lead guy but passed on his last movie. I couldn't fathom sitting for three hours and fifty minutes to watch a movie when I knew the ending--------Bond would get the girl. 

It's probably me being an old man but it seems like many of our time honored tradtions have go the route of the Edsel.


No comments: