Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Phrases and Such

This is a shorty blog but it crossed my mind and since my mind is---now where was I? Oh yeah, my memory is sometimes forgetful it's important I get this down. It's probably been a year ago that I wrote about phrases that become mandatory to be spoken in everyday usage and it's impossible to go thirty minutes without hearing words that become absolutely insufferable. Like the word from the early 60's, 'groovy'(thanks a lot Simon and Garfunkle). In the late 60's the word 'certainly' was a replacement for 'yes'.
I know I'm right on the next statement subject because I did a teaching segment in my high school classroom on words and phrases of the 1920's that started this derangement of the English language. If you researched the Flapper Era you'll find scads of replacement words. Why, you might even feel like the 'bees knees' after you incorporate them into everyday language. Lord knows I'm one of the worst offenders of butchering the Kings English. Slang is my middle name. Regardless, awhile back the most irritable phrase to me was, "I've got your back". It was universal in it's scope. Care to guess what's replaced it? I'll give you a minute. Times up so "I'll cut to the chase"(late 1970's)! It is now, "It's not my first rodeo" The definition being: I'm smart, you're stupid, don't bother me, ah pshaw, drop dead, get a life, etc., etc., etc.

No comments: