Wednesday, May 13, 2020

The More Things Change The More They Stay The Same

My good buddy, Craig, called me yesterday as I was pulling into the golf driving range. We've been friends since 1965 and he was my best man in my wedding in 1969.

Craig. like all good friends has his, how do I write this, unique views on life---as if I don't.

He calls me every so often, once or twice a month, and I reciprocate. Craigie lives in Olathe, Kansas but has lived in numerous cities around the country. He worked for Owens Corning Fiberglas his entire life and ended up managing the largest OC plant in the world. In other words, he ain't stupid.

As I sat in the driving range parking lot we chitchatted for almost an hour. For us, for any man, that's a whole lot of chitchatting. I like to get on the phone and get off quickly.

Anyway, he asked me about the virus and how it'd changed my life. "Well," I said, "before the virus The Queen and I used to go to church together. We drove in the car. I'd take her to work. We'd sit in the back yard and talk. I'd go to the golf course. I'd watch television. I'd spend a bunch of time on the computer. As a 74 year old man my life is about the same as it was before."

If I was 25 I'd probably be going insane. The hormones of young men have to be insatiably rampant. Man, I feel so sorry for these guys. They can't go to bars. They can't hit on babes who are as equally as horny as the guys. Life must be hell on earth.

Not for a 74 year old, though. Give me a peanut butter and cheese sandwich and a glass of milk and I'm living in clover.

No comments: