Saturday, November 18, 2023

Only Golfers Will Understand

 Golfing isn't for everyone. Mark Twain called it 'A good walk spoiled'. I never felt that way. On a personal level I considered golf to be the greatest individual athletic activity invented. It's all on my shoulders, so to speak.

I began to avidly play the game when I was the age of 42. On the course I had more downs that ups but like most golfers I can recall courses and scores for the past 35 years whereas I can't remember what I afe for dinner yesterday.

I'm guessing my best round took place at Whitewater golf course in northern Minnesota in 2002. On that day I had 16 pars in a row before faltering on hole #17. It was a par 3 and was 165 yards tee to green. I pulled my tee shot slightly left and made a poor chip shot then two putted for a bogey. Hole number 18 was a par 5. My third shot, a sand wedge also was slightly to the left of the green. Once again I hit a bad chip and once again two-putted for a bogey 6. Drat! Two crummy chip shots and I came home with a 74.

The reason I bring up the game of golf is because of a scorecard I saw yesterday. On the European Tour a young fella, Matt Wallace, on the back 9 birdied (one stroke under par) every hole. I'm in awe---and jealous. https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/tour/tour/matt-wallace-dp-world-tour-championship-back-nine-27/





No comments: