Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Quest

Do you know that the NBA basketball championships are taking place? Furthermore, do you care? MJ stopped watching high powered for the rich basketball when Michael Jordan retired and that's awhile back. I did take some buddies to see a Minnesota Timberwolves vs. Indianapolis Pacers game three years ago. A friend of mine works for the Wolves and offered the tickets but since both of these teams were so bad I can't count them as being professionals so, in reality,  I actually haven't seen an NBA game. We sat underneath a basket at that event. Face value on the tickets said $600 each. Think about it. What could you do with $600.00? If you believe in Obama you could run out and buy a 'thingamajig'. With that kind of money in their pockets the Secret Service would still be in business.
Something is wrong in sports when the worst teams can charge that kind of money for people to watch forty-eight minutes of futility. Something is really out of whack when these same people willingly fork over this cash. And worse yet, there are more expensive seats in the house.
I read in the paper this morning that the Oklahoma City basketball team won their first game for the NBA championships against the Miami Heat. People seem to shout 'hooray' when they hear this because a guy named LeBron James plays for the Heat. It's easy to understand why James is hated in Ohio. He grew up here, then played for the Cleveland Cavaliers before jumping ship and leaving for the Sunshine State for more money. I may open a big can of 'whoopass' with this next comment but since it's my blog I can write what I want. I say a lot of these guys deserve more money to take care of their families. A good example is a fella named Sean Kemp. He's kept hope alive by fathering 13 children out of wedlock. http://www.cavsnews.com/20080612-1175.php Here's another kicker. If I had to write down the names of 75% of the teams in the NBA Oklahoma City would come to mind about as fast as my being able to name 75% of the counties Ohio.
And while we're on the subject, don't anyone ever mention racism to me again. Take a look at any NBA team. See the guys on the floor and look at the boys on the bench during a timeout. One of the 'gents' should be nicknamed 'Spot'. He's the only white guy on the team. Yessiree! Ninety percent of the teams in the NBA are composed of blacks,  most of whom have never been on my radar. Now, don't get the idea I'm against blacks having a monopoly on playing positions. I'm not. It's their game and it was invented for them. They can jump higher, run faster, move quicker from a dead stop than 'Whitey'. It's my contention that the 3-point shot was invented to allow slow footed white guys to have a place in the game.
I'm on a quest. I will never in my adult life watch another NBA basketball game. I will watch second grade girls play basketball before I turn on a professional NBA game. My wife is a world class knitter. I will watch her knit for ten hours non-stop before I look at another game. I will walk naked around our block--- in the dead of winter(I actually did this in college on a one dollar bet but that's another story)before seeing some dude 'thumpa-thumpa' the ball. Wanna know why? It's very, very boring. It's more boring than cooking oatmeal. That's why.

No comments: