Wednesday, November 27, 2019

It's Pre-Thanksgiving Day So Enjoy

Well, here we are, the day before Thanksgiving and plans are already in the works for the big feast.

In our younger days when we lived in Iowa, Davenport specifically, we'd all pile in the car and drive the three hours to my in-laws in Des Moines. My mother in law was an excellent cook. As soon as we walked into their apartment she'd utter the same phrase every year: "We were beginning to think you weren't coming".

We don't go there anymore. My in-laws passed away around the turn of the century. My dad died in 1994 and mom in 2012. Our kids live in Arizona, Kansas and Cincinnati respectively. Our daughter in law from Cincy is an only child but has an extended family of around fifty. Her dad rents a hall every year and all the relatives attend. The Queen and I don't attend. This will be our 51st Thanksgiving together. She made my first Thanksgiving dinner one month before were married and has continued the tradition ever since.

My wife is the very best cook God created, better even than Julia Child. She has never prepared anything close to a bad meal.

We'll eat tomorrow around 4 pm. I always put on a coat and tie even if I'm in sweat pants. It's a tradition. Her Majesty will make enough food to feed the Russian Army from WWI and WWII combined.
One of our very favorite Thanksgiving traditions are consuming leftovers, specifically turkey sandwiches smother in mayonnaise. This year my neighbor across the street is throwing a monstrous Beat Michigan Party before the Ohio State game on Saturday. I'm sure a turkey leg or two will find it's way across the street. The pumpkin pie won't. I have it once a year with whipped topping on top so it'll all be mine minus the piece Her Majesty has.

The very best aspect of Thanksgiving for me is it's a time to relax. I do count my blessings. I've had hundreds of thousands of them.

Enjoy the day, folks. It only comes 'round once a year.

No comments: