Monday, August 30, 2021

The Day ESPN Got Snookered

 Nothing or no one can be trusted, not even in sports events. Yesterday, a rather lazy Sunday day, I was scrolling through my television channels and came across ESPN. It was showing a high school football game between IMG out of Florida versus Bishop Sycamore high school from Columbus Ohio. Since I live in a suburb of said city I was more than flummoxed because I'd never heard of Sycamore. We've lived here for thirty-two years. My son attended and played basketball at one of the Catholic schools in the city. I know all of the Catholic high schools or so I thought.

After a good fifteen minutes of checking out the school this is what I found. Bishop Sycamore is one year old. It is an online school. They have no building or athletic fields. How they field a team I don't know. This game was played in Canton, Ohio.

IMG, on the other hand, is a football factory and it cost's kids $65K a year to attend. They have four football teams rated A through D according to ability. The A team is the one that travels the country and gets on television. Football factory? Yes, they have 19 players who will have D-1 scholarships next year.

Sycamore must have administrators who would rival P.T. Barnum. How in the world they convinced ESPN to think they're a legitimate school worthy of daytime national television is impressive. ESPN could not be reached for comment and understandable so. Heads should and willl roll.

No comments: