Saturday, March 26, 2022

Watching College Basketball

 Late March and early April are my favorite when it comes to sports watching. There's absolutely nothing better than teams earning a trip to the Final Four for this guy. 

I watched St. Peter's take out Purdue last night. It's good to have a Cinderella team in the tournament. The Boilermakers of West Lafayette, Indiana were the last Big Ten team in in tourney. For supposedly being the best conference in the country; well, if you follow college basketball, it isn't.

What I don't like about sports in this day and age is the politicization of athletics. It's the reason I don't watch the NFL or NBA and Major League Baseball is moving down this path.

St. Peter's is a small school out of Jersey City, New Jersey and they're fun to watch BUT, they should leave social messages in the locker room.

If you watched any of their games you would notice the players wear warm-ups over their game clothes. On the front of each jersey are the words, 'Black Lives Matter'. On the back is the word Racism with an X through the word. Being that Her Majesty doesn't watch sports I was in my man cave when I noticed the wording. Since I was by myself I said out loud, "WTF!"

The roster for the St. Peter's Peacocks has 15 players. There is one white kid on the team and 14 Blacks. The head coach is a black man. You might understand why I was flabbergasted at the social message.

Then, being that I'm a smart ass, I thought it might be interesting is if the one white guy wore a shirt reading, 'White Lives Matter'. And on the back 'What Racism?

Folks, can't we just get back to playing the game? It's extremely difficult for me to understand racism in sports. Check out for yourselves the teams playing in the tourney. Each has a majority of Black players and then take it further and look at the rosters of teams from the Deep South; the supposed bastion of racism in America. Don't get me wrong. Basketball is a Black man's game. They're the best players, period. When I was coaching and had a choice between a kid who played like Magic Johnson or one who was white, 5'10" with with a flat top I think I'd go with the guy who could dunk from the free throw line and it wouldn't be Whitey. I always maintained the reason for the 3 point shot was to make sure the slow, short, white kid might still have a place in the game. In the final analysis if you want to know how the white population enjoys good Black basketball players ask yourself this question. Did basketball fans go to games to root for the Harlem Globetrotters of the Washington Generals? I rest my case.  

Please, though, let's not glorify BLM until they can explain how $60 million dollars of donations has somehow disappeared. How the organizer of BLM, Patrice Cullors, is an avowed communist. 

I've finished my rant. Charlie wants to go for a walk and we all know man's best friend waits for no one when it comes to their daily constitutional. 


No comments: