Friday, April 21, 2023

MJ Hawkeye Took A RoadTrip

There comes a time in a guys life when he has to get off the couch and say, "I'm sick and tired of doing nothing but watching the Hallmark Channel and I've gotta get out of this house. Two days ago The Queen came home from shopping and I told her I needed a road trip. By this I mean I'm going to start driving and God only knows where. I had a choice of going to my lake home in northern Minnesota or heading south. Believe me when I way it wasn't a difficult choice. The Mason-Dixon Line is only hours away and I'm a believer in the Confederate States so off I went; specifically toward the state Daniel Boone once inhabited.

Of all the places I've ever visited in my life I love eastern Kentucky as one of the best. I first became intimately acquainted a year ago when I visited Bristol Virginia/Tennessee. On the way home going west toward Knoxville I got off the interstate and drove north for forty miles into western Virginia then veered left into eastern Kentucky. I drove forty miles and stopped in small communities, grabbed a coffee and talked with the natives. I stopped in Harlan Kentucky which was the focal point of the TV show, Justified, and shot the breeze with the locals. As I spoke with the natives I became aware of one thing. Of all the venues I've visited in my life the eastern Kentuckians spoke a dialect I could not understand. I remember stopping on a back road highway looking at a scenic overlook and there were two young men standing next to me. They both asked me a question and I honestly said to them. "Fellas, I appreciate your comments but I don't understand one word you said." And we all laughed. Isn't that neat? I'm so taken with Kentuckians I'm going to buy a coon skin cap.

No comments: