Tuesday, September 22, 2015

R.I.P. Viktor The Viking


Viktor Viking


It was ten years or so ago this proud father wrote the story of the Minnesota Viking's newest mascot, Viktor the Viking. At the request of The Viking's CEO, Ziggy Wolff, a contest was held to create a kid friendly mascot to counter the brutish Ragnar who rode into the stadium on a motorcycle scaring the bejeezuz out of anyone under the age of 12.

Anyway, my eldest son was named the winner and came up with the design pictured above. Actually, he doesn't think it was all that good and it might not be. I'm privy to much of his work and he's come up with some great ideas and pieces of artwork.

I found out today Viktor has gone to wherever Nordic mascots go four years ago. I told my son he should ask for the costume and put it in his garage so his kids have something to wear on Halloween.

As for Ragnar, he was fired yesterday. His demand of $20 thousand per game appearance seemed a bit high for the Viking management. Twenty grand is a pretty good gig if you can get it. Heck, I would have settled for fifty bucks and all the popcorn I could eat.

R.I.P. Viktor

No comments: