Wednesday, September 22, 2021

For Baseball Afficionados Only

 If you read this blog you know I'm a huge fan of baseball from it's beginnings up until the commissioner of MLB started getting political. I grew up in Boone Iowa loving the game; got my first mitt at age six and still have it along with a catcher's mitt from 1955. In 1956 my parents bought me a chest protector. I slept in it at night and continued to wear what Yogi Berra called 'the tools of ignorance' until my last competitive game at age 25.

My heroes were those from from 1954 when the game was first on television. I'd copy the batters as they swung and learned to throw from the outfield, infield, on the mound and behind the plate the way the big boys did. I read a story once about the Hall of Fame pitcher for the Braves, Warren Spahn. He stated his salary in 1956 was $8,000 a year. Can you imagine?

Anyway, a buddy in Wisconsin sent me a video detailing the great players who passed away in 2020. It's narrated by Johnny Bench. You'll like it--------if you love baseball. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS_VBkg4t2Q

No comments: