Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Blame It On Moonshine

 Hazard Kentucky is located in the very southeastern part of the state nestled in the Applachian Mountains. I visited that area one time as a salesman---only one time. There wasn't much to do in the town of 5,000 but teachers and students at the local high school have given it fame never before realized. 

During Hazard High School's homecoming week festivities, students and staff took part in a "Man Pageant" and "Costume Day."

Photos that were since taken down from the athletics department's Facebook page showed students giving lap dances to faculty and staff, including the high school's principal, Donald "Happy" Mobelini, who is also mayor of the Perry County city.

Other photos on the athletics page that were later taken down showed female students dressed up in "Hooters" outfits as well as students and staff appearing to paddle one another."

This story angers me greatly considering I was a secondary school teacher for 20 years. I mean, why didn't this ever happen when I was around. At one school we had a teacher/student volleyball game during homecoming and Miss Flatt wore sprayed on shorts so skimpy after the game was over we all asked, who won? Who was on each team? Did you see those shorts, we asked. In a Catholic school no less. I wonder whatever happened to Flatt. I think I heard she became a nun.



No comments: