Friday, October 28, 2022

All That Money And For What?

 The  Queen and I are in Kansas visiting our son and his family. One of his offspring will graduate high school this upcoming spring and is now looking at schools to further her education. As one might imagine the price of attending a four year school isn't exactly------well, you know what I mean.

As we talked I hearkened back to when I attended Coe College in the Fall of 1965. Trust me when I write I didn't know how I'd be able to pull off getting the funds necessary. For starters tuition at Coe was $3,000. You've heard of king's ransoms before. To me this was a ransom and a half but I eventually pulled it off.

My granddaughter will be going off to college next year. She's lucky. Unlike me she has a brain and has used to to the point that she's won a presidential scholarship and, better yet, she was offered a full academic scholarship to attend the Univ. of Oklahoma. 

My son showed me the breakdown of costs for the average kid on the street. Tuition for out of state students in Norman, Oklahoma is $82,000! I then began adding up the other costs she and her parents would be required to fork over and they came to the sum total of $123,000 FOR ONE YEAR!

Most kids aren't as fortunate as my granddaughter. They or their relatives will have to fork over the cash. Know what I think? Welding school is a heck of a lot cheaper than places that teach kids how to become good communists. Welders start out at $80,000 a year in salary. Seems to me that degree would be much better than one called Underwater Basket Weaving with a minor in Gender Studies.

No comments: