Tuesday, June 29, 2021

It's Hot In Ohio

 Considering the Northwest is having temperatures of 115 degrees I shouldn't complain. Well, I will complain. Cities like Portland and Seattle deserve to have even hotter temps to acclimate themselves for what happens after death.

Maybe there is something to this global warming. It's 96 F in Dublin, Ohio. That's hot enough for me to stay indoors. This is no big deal because come January when it's -15 it'll be cold enough for me to do the same.

The heat got me to thinking about those days long ago when I was a pre-teen lad in Central Iowa when the humidity was so high we could go swimming in our own clothes.

Those were the days when we didn't have air conditioning. Can you imagine people today trying to do that? I learned the other day that half the people in this country weren't alive in 1980 so they don't know how to bitch about we folks who lived in the Dark Ages. I can still picture my grandma sitting in the corner with her personal air conditioner. It was a rolled up newspaper and she waved it back and forth across her face.

The worst times without AC were at night when lying in bed the sweat came off so much that we somethings thought we'd wet the mattress. We'd toss and turn without covers on and windows wide open so that the breeze, of which there wasn't any, could come through. 

I have a friend who lives in Arizona and he was telling me about the 115 degree temps. I said, "Yeah, but it's a dry heat." And he countered with, "Then go put your head in an over." Case closed on that one.


No comments: