Sunday, February 20, 2022

Musings Of An Idle Mind

 Since it's Sunday morning and the sun is shining with blue skies as a backdrop it's impossible not to feel like Spring is on the way. And it is. Days like today clear the mind.

I do my best thinking in one of two places: lying in bed at night(normal people sleep but, hey, I'm not normal) and when walking Charlie in the morning. He was a good boy this morning. It only took five minutes to do one of three things he does on a daily basis; the other two being eat and sleep.

Anyway, it hit me right between the shoulder blades(between the eyes is so trite). Today, the 2022 Olympics ended. I didn't watch one single second of the event. It wasn't that difficult a task, not watching. It's sort of like your mother telling you as a child, "whatever you do never, ever take a gasoline bath." 

The Hallmark Channel has a show on today that I imagine could never happen. The premise is that a woman, the hot star, runs a boot camp for people who have had a broken relationship. Who would do such a thing unless they wanted a hook up with another chick? Think of the money a guy would spend to find out he's a loser. I can save him money. Go to a bar and drink yourself stupid(er).

Being that I'm a fan of the State of Iowa yesterday was a good day for sports fans of the 'Land of Brilliant Minds.' All of our basketball teams won; Iowa over Ohio State, Iowa State defeating Oklahoma, Drake Univ. slamming ranked Loyola of Chicago and the Caitlin Clark Iowa Hawkeye babes slammed #5 ranked Indiana. If Northern Iowa can take a win over Missouri St. today it'll be a clean sweep. Folks, it doesn't take much to make us farmers happy. 

The Queen and I are considering, after 33 years, of moving back to God's country aka Iowa. For the citizens of Iowa it'll be somewhat of a comedown. When I moved to Ohio the IQ levels of both states rose dramatically. The reverse would occur---if I pull the plug. Don't get me wrong, Ohio is a very nice state. It's just that Iowa is a fabulous one.

I have not watched 'Meet The Press' since Tim Russert died. I wonder why. It might be because I don't bathe in gasoline.

There's another reason I'm feeling 'gooder' than good today and it was a result of my morning walk. Now that I'm well into being a member of the 'Check Out Generation' I've become more fervent in my praying. Catholics are lucky because we have a wide variety of helps to get us into heaven; many more aids than other religions. We have saints, the Holy Host, and we have thousands of prayers; some more powerful than others. One of these prayers is the Act of Contrition. We've been told by the hierarchy, popes even, that if we say the Act immediate preceding death the gates of Heaven will open wide for us. Well, while walking I thought this cool help. 

Let's say a person kills, rapes, steals with impunity and then right before he croaks he says the magic words and 'viola' there's St. Peter to greet him. I remember when Fidel Castro kicked the bucket. The bearded one committed all kinds of absolutely horrid acts in his life. I'm guessing but I think I once read where he was responsible for the execution of over 250,000 dissidents and this was after he took control. He was as fallen away Catholic as one could be. I rank him up there with other folks who had at one time been Catholics and then turned on their fellow man; Stalin, Hitler, Mussolini. But on his death bed we were told he asked for a priest, said the Act of Contrition and took his last breath. Then we were told since he said the magic words he wouldn't go to Hell. And I thought, "You know, I've done many things in life I'm not proud to say. I've been not nice to folks. I've said so many nasty, vulgar words in anger and joy I probable have set an all-time record for mankind. If, when I die, and I don't have the chance to say the prayer and go to Hell or even Purgatory I'm going to be one pissed off dude. Castro gets in and I don't? Gimme a break. The Act is my favorite prayer, though. I say it numerous times daily. So I've got that going for me.

Enjoy the day. 





No comments: