Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Loving Life In Dublin Ohio

Vacations away from home can be a pain in the posterior unless I visit a destination never before seen. When you visit already seen places and the trip is extended over two weeks the only thoughts I have are what hell it's going to be getting home. Going to Portugal on a river cruise last summer exemplified this. I never wanted to leave the Iberian Peninsula;  have never seen so many fine looking ladies in such a small area and the food was okay, too.

It's now been six days since I returned from the Minnesota lake cabin. Today is the first day I've felt 'normal'; no anxiety, no vacation fatigue, no nuthin'. I might even go for a walk----or not.

My wife returned home from the Gopher State yesterday afternoon. Hooray for me. Want to take a stab on the first thing she did? That's right. She went to bed. Her advantage is she's smaller than I so she recovers more quickly. I'll have her doing dishes, washing clothes and picking up after me in no time.

My long time friend and the best man in my wedding is going to be a grandfather today. It's a boy via his son and some other woman. The child will be named Urban in honor of Urban Meyer. He'll be called Urbie. Lucky for him the coach of the Ohio State Buckeyes isn't named Josef Stalin.

My college roomie and stock brocker from Miami, Oklahoma and his wife arrived home from a trip to the Galapagos Islands this morning. He wrote it was a majestic trip. He and I are both Phy. Ed. grads. He's been to every continent and most all the countries of the world; trips won by his good work. The both of us laugh about our college majors. Heck, we still know guys who concentrated on chemistry, math, and medicine still busting their humps trying to pay their bills and they constantly complain about it. I knew a long time ago my ability to insert a needle in a basketball in concert with an air pump would lead me to the land of milk and honey.

Who'da thunk the both of us would have done so well. I remember the president of our college saying to me as I walked across the stage at commencement, "I hope you make it in life". My thoughts then were, "Up yours, Joe McCabe". Not anymore. As my wife always says, "financial success is the best revenge".

So, now I get a good dose of rest and relaxation before I hop in the car September 10 along with two of my pals. We'll be driving back to the Minnesota lake. I very much need one of them. He's big, strong and full of energy. Someone has to haul in my dock and take the boat in for winter storage. This is when I start believing in the power of the rosary. "C'mon, Jeff, don't fail me now by backing out".

I'm back to full steam and know it because I'm playing all the right angles. Better yet, the wife gave me the go ahead to buy new hearing aids; the ones I lost. Now, if I can con her into giving me the cash out of her account I'll know I haven't lost the touch.

"MJ Hawkeye, you 'da man"!


No comments: