Friday, July 31, 2015

Wisconsin's Best Motel

If you've ever read this blog you know I'm an expert on motels. While working I drove 75,000 miles a year and rested my eyes in some good and not so good places.

The cheapest and most ridiculous room was in Brantford, Ontario. The room was pink. The TV antenna was a coat hanger and the place was so small I had to sleep standing up. The cost was $8.00 US currency but since it was 2am in the morning I didn't want to go on a motel hunt.

When the Queen is with me I'll find a place to her liking which usually means well over a hundred dollars. When I'm by myself I go on the cheap. Heck, I've stayed in places so bad I slept in my clothes and top of the spread to save twenty.

On my drive back to Ohio from Minnesota a couple of weeks ago I happened on a place called The Falls Motel in Black River Falls, Wisconsin

Take a close look at the place. Sort of reminds you of the Bates Motel from the movie Psycho, doesn't it? This place is 100% the opposite. Plus, my family doesn't own this string of eleven rooms, either, so no one is beholden to me. Quite frankly this motel is the best place I've parked my car in recent memory.

Don't expect a full breakfast the next morning but there is a continental one in the main office. Those full menu breakfasts add ten bucks to your bill, anyway. There will be no newspapers at your door so go out and buy one.

This is what one receives: A very clean room with a queen sized bed. There is a table with free wifi. A coffee pot with coffee. A shower with clean towels. If you're a smoker each room has a table and chairs located outside the front door. The maid was named Heidi and she received a big tip for the way the room was kept. Oh, yeah, the television has 75 stations. A sign out front said there was a swimming pool but I didn't take the time to check it out. If it had been a mud hole with water it I wouldn't have been bothered because the owners are what we Midwesterners call, "God's people".

So, where exactly is this place, you ask? I'm here to help. Black River Falls is located 90 miles west of Madison on I-94 in western Wisconsin. Exit the interstate south onto Hwy. 54 and drive to the second stop light which is Hwy. 12. Turn left and go approximately one mile then turn left on E. 2nd St. and drive six blocks. The Falls Motel will be on your right. Welcome to Nirvana.

Trust me when I write you'll love this place. The best news is a room costs $47.00. Can you imagine? You will never, ever have to sleep in your clothes on top of the sheets at The Falls Motel. And that's a promise.

No comments: