Wednesday, July 15, 2015

When You Know You're Losing It

I'll pull out of our Minnesota lake home driveway sometime this afternoon. I can't say I'm sad. I've been here a month and, for me, staying in one place that long is like a jitterbug not moving for a minute. It can't be done.

In reflection there were some memories I'll take home with me to Ohio. First and foremost, I was fishless. It was a thrill to know that my son in law, granddaughter and grandson cannot say the same.
Even my daughter caught a walleye.(Don't tell anyone but she didn't have her license and promptly put it back in the water). It was my fault, though. I told her there were no fish in the lake.

There were two occurrences that prompted me to reflect on what my Wisconsin buddy always says about me: "MJ, you are a real piece of work".

Last week the boat needed fuel so I drove the seven miles into town to our one and only gas station. I went inside and told the cashier to ring up ten dollars on the pump. I reached in my left pocket, then the right one. I patted both rear end pockets and realized I'd left my wallet back at the cabin. So, I jumped in the car and made the trip back then fro to the station. I gave the lady the cash and went to get the gas container. I looked in the 'way back' then the back seat. Dang! I'd forgotten to put it in the car. It's called losing it but it gets even better or worse depending on your perspective.

Hackensack, Minnesota has what is called Sweetheart Days. It's a festival in honor of Lucette who was rumored to be either Paul Bunyon's wife, girlfriend or concubine.

Anyone, there are games for kids and supposedly a parade but the only floats I saw were pontoons driving through town on the way to Leech Lake. It's difficult bringing in the crowds when the population is only 300.

I noticed the 'Hack' library had used books out front for sale so I perused the titles. I'm a sucker for hardbacks but the selection was limited. It was then I noticed a book titled, 'Losing bin Laden'. It was written by Richard Miniter, a noted author. I thought for a minute, "I think I've read this". Then I said to no one in particular, "No, I haven't" so I approached the library lady and said, "I'll take it. How much"? She responded, "That'll be one dollar". "That", I said, "is a bargain but I can't take this for that low a price so I'll give you five bucks".

That night as I climbed into the sack I reached for my bin Laden book and opened the cover. Much to my non-surprise I saw the words, 'book is the property of MJ Hawkeye'. "Hey, it was 12 years ago I donated the book to the library. That's a long time when a person is dealing with an addled brain.

I have one great fear about my drive home to Ohio today. I hope I don't wake up in a Colorado Springs motel.

Pray for me.

No comments: