Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Get To Know Your Neighbors

Our condo in Dublin is situated with forty others in a semi-circle. Drive in from the east end and exit on the west. Or, if you're an adventurer, reverse the process.

The folks living at the far end might as well be from Mars even though it's about a forty-five second walk. I don't get down to that end of the street often so I haven't met many of them. I did hear a professional golfer, Rod Spittle, lives there. I'd knock on his door and introduce myself but my opening line would be sort of phony: "Hey Rod, how's it goin'? I'm MJ Hawkeye and I wanted to say 'Hi' and maybe get your autograph". Sounds sort of corny and intrusive. Besides, I don't want or need his signature.

There is, however, a 79 year old woman who lives across the street. She and her husband have become very good friends. Even so I learned a significant fact about her two days ago that would shock and have people in disbelief. It's a true Ripley's Believe It Or Not story. I'd make a wager nobody in the United States except a few them thar folks from the state of Kentucky could rival it.

This lady has been married for 57 years and given birth to two children. Aside from prenatal care and the actual birth process she has never, not once, visited a hospital or doctor's office. She's never had a physical exam, a cold that caused her to get a prescription, broken bones, not anything.

That's it. I just thought you'd like to hear about it.

No comments: