Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Getting In Touch With My Feminine Side




It's about time I told you a couple of little known secrets about myself. I'm a softy. For entertainment I watch the Hallmark movies on the week-end. I tape them for future reference. They're simple in nature which fits in nicely with my simple mind.

Either a young man or woman is unhappy in life. He or she moves to a different city, usually the one where they grew up. Of course, their former high school sweetheart is there. That person is widowed with a couple of children. The other person has a fiancĂ© in their former city but needs to get away for awhile to clear the mind.

The former boyfriend and girlfriend overcome some type of turmoil and at the end of the film realize their true love and live happily ever after. It's always the same old same old but these movies touch my heart because they are so sappy. One of my favorite actresses in these is Brooke D'Orsay. She's a babe.

I have a feminine side dating back to grade school. I matriculated at Sacred Heart School in Boone, Iowa grades 1-8 until 1960. Our teachers were Catholic and from the order of the Sisters of Charity of the Blessed Virgin Mary. They wore long black dresses with rosary beads the size of small boulders that hung to the floor. Their heads were covered by black and white boxes. In other words, they looked like nuns out of the movie, 'The Bells of St. Mary's.

These Sisters were sticklers when it came to studying and giving us the basics in all subjects. We had the normal readin', writin' and rithmetic'. In addition, we were taught the Palmer style of cursive* writing. For them and us it had the same importance as the proper use of good grammar.

For some reason I mastered the art of the Palmer method. Mike Culver, a friend, and I had contests on bettering each other with near perfect penmanship. Truth be told I always envied his skill with the pen but I can hold my own with most anyone else. Would you like to know why? It's because I'm goooood!

Last week I came across an article about Spencerian Script and knew it was a skill I wanted to learn. There is a Master Spencerian who lives in Gardner, Kansas so I emailed him asking about the process.

His name is Michael Sulls and he is only one of 9 in the world who is so skilled in this art. My neighbor across the street had previously sent us a thank you note after we had had them to dinner. Her writing was of the Spencerian type. It turns out she is a student of Mr. Sulls and has begun teaching me in my home.

So, there you have it. I've decided to learn a skill, one that can be passed on to my grandchildren.
Maybe I'll be able to script their wedding invitations some day. In addition, I am about to be one up on Mike Culver.

There are some drawbacks, however. I won't be able to slug down coffee as I have done forever. It's hell on the nerves; makes me shake like I have Parkinson's. The constant practice will force me to eliminate computer time.(This is a good thing). I will be forced to practice, practice, practice. Practice is boring. I want to play.

So, now you know. I've exposed my feminine side. Take that Caitlyn Jenner.

*31 states do not now teach cursive writing in school

Video depicting the importance of penmanship to maintain civilization https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=277&v=KvSyQDu49pI

No comments: