Tuesday, October 24, 2017

ME TV: It's A Winner

I'm a huge fan of ME TV. If you aren't familiar with it you should acquaint yourself with its magnificent features. It's an oldie channel showing cowboy movies, mysteries and family shows. If you want to see shows loaded with suggestive sexual content, unbridled vulgarity and mindless scripts then tune into what's produced today.

I happen to be a fan of light comedy and family situations. This is why Leave It To Beaver and Father Knows Best are high on my list of enjoyable viewing. Besides, there's always a moral, a learning lesson to these shows.  I have a crush on Jane Wyatt from Father Knows Best. In my mind she's absolutely gorgeous. I hope she was that way in real life. I'm deathly afraid to peer into her past. What if she was a hardcore alcoholic who married six times. In other words, a real floozy.

Her Majesty made a salient point this morning as I was watching Robert Young(Jim Anderson) give Billy Gray(Bud) a life lesson. She stated, "It seems shows from the era of the Fifties put the focus on adults, Jim and Margaret Anderson. They were role models and the kids were respectful as they grew through their teen years. Somewhere along the way, probably in the Eighties, America's youth took over. Canned laughter by the networks didn't help, either. Think about the show Three's Company. A guy moves in with two young girls and their lightweight banter revolves around sex. Ha-ha. There were no values displayed, no morals to life. Suzanne Sommers was one of the female stars. One can only watch so much T&A before losing their lunch. Need I say more?

Once in a great while there'll be a decent show that comes along, say, Last Man Standing, It was canceled by ABC this year even though it was the #2 ranked sitcom in all of television. Tim Allen, the dad, was hilariously funny and his wife, Nancy Travis in real life, portrayed an upstanding mother. The shows reruns still are shown on the Hallmark Channel and CMT at night. Rumor is the show was axed because so many of the scripts were geared to the conservative side, which is what Allen was in the series. Interestingly, his wife and three daughters were portrayed as liberals.

So, I continue to watch ME TV. Know what I miss seeing on my favorite channel? It's The Donna Reed Show. There was a lady who was a real hottie and a heck of a good wife. Those will always be my kind or role models. June Cleaver, Barbara Billingsly in real life, wasn't all that bad either. And what came along in the Nineties? Try Roseann Barr on for size. Not my style.

I'm certain this appreciation of old time television is a generational thing. For instance, My favorite music comes from the Big Band Era through the Sixties. Those were my formative years.

Don't you feel sad for high school kids who were influenced by Rap of the late Eighties and Nineties?
But, if you(folks my age) call them on it they say how out of it we are. Rappers JAY-Z and Sean 'Puffy' Combs are worth a combined one billion dollars.

Either way we have to learn to live with it. As for me I've learned to adjust to the whims of youth. I'm more understanding. Except, at my age I'm allowed to say under my breath, "Idiots".

No comments: