Monday, October 23, 2017

This 'N That From Dublin Ohio

I read a blurb on Facebook about grammar and words. It asked what drive you nuts about those who misuse words. As a transplanted Ohioan from Iowa I have a couple. In this State I'm always hearing 'exspecially' and if one lives anywhere south of Columbus it's Ahia.  Weird.

I visited our local Costco this morning to pick up my six month supply of hearing aids. Total cost: $8. After this I went to Walgreen's and noticed the same aids selling for $8 per week. You figure it out.

Ohio has a vote coming up in November to decide who will provide prescription drugs. I detest these votes. In the first place each runs TV ads telling why their side is right. It's confusing and they use distortions to sway the voters.

Considering there are probably 5 million voting age people in Ohio and it's an off year election I don't suspect the voting lines will be overwhelming. If there's a game of crazy eights taking place at the VFW I'm certain it will take be more popular than voting. Plus, they serve beer.

The way I see it is to vote NO for two reasons: 1) All state departments, agencies and entities will pay no more for prescription drugs than the price paid by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs.
Sound good? Here’s the hook: It also requires that the individual petitioners responsible for proposing the law are the ones who get to defend the law. The state will be required to pay attorney fees and other expenses, but the petitioners liability is limited to just $10,000 if the law is ruled to be unenforceable. The state would pay the rest.  (Did you see the words 'attorney fees' in the explanation?)
The second reason and maybe the deciding factor is Bernie Sanders came out for a YES vote.
Word to the wise if you're on a CPAP machine. Clean it out every week not once every 13 months like one guy I know. I won't tell you his name but his initials are MJ Hawkeye. Bacteria and fungi in the lungs can cause significant problems--like breathing.
Good news if you're a transplanted Iowan in Ohio. The Iowa State Cyclone football team is ranked #25 in the country. It's their first national ranking since the invention of the Model T Ford.
My congressman for the past 16 years was (R) Pat Tiberi. He's resigning saying Washington is a mess. Yeah right, Pat. Your current salary is $174K plus perks. The congressman will become president of the Ohio Round Table whatever that is. I do know this. It's a lobbying group and the president of that illustrious body had a salary five years ago of $675,000.00. Good job, Pat.

I'm a nimrod when it comes to food and food products. The Hallmark Channel was showing a repeat love story this afternoon-Valentine Ever After-so I hopped in the Ford Taurus and tooled on down to the local Kroger. Question? Why does low cal food cost less then food loaded with tasty fat goodies? And I don't mean cost less by a quarter or so. I'm talking dollars.

Speaking of food, we had some friends in from Kansas over the week-end and went to lunch at the 101 Beer restaurant in Dublin. I'm not one to make fun of very heavy people. I've been there before so I know what it's like to breathe like Secretariat after a mile run walking a flight of stairs. Anyway, there was a couple, a man and woman, across from our table who were very large. My buddy and I watched them order. It was a ton. The thing that always amazes me is more often than not obese folks will order six cheeseburgers, five orders of fries, three bowls of mac and cheese and an entire apple pie and then, when it comes to ordering a drink, they'll ask for a diet coke. What's the point? I'm certain Freud would have the answer.

No comments: