Monday, November 23, 2020

Another Not So Dumb Idea: Cardboard Cutouts

 


There's nothing better than watching a college football game on a Saturday afternoon. Or, attending one would be better if one wanted to spend $100 and up on a ticket, shell out another $25 for parking and then have to hitch a ride to the game because you're still three miles from the stadium.

Iowa played at Penn State last Saturday and I couldn't help but notice the thousands of cardboard cutouts in the stands to simulatate actualy people. When the hometeam does something good like get a first down cheering occurs over the PA system.

As I am wont to do it hit me, I wonder how much it costs the university to shell out cash for these figures so I went to my source. The guy is an avid Hawkeye booster and he quickly wrote me back. Schools aren't stupid. They go to their boosters and request money for the fake folks. In the case of my friend he told me he gave $3k so he could have his own special friends sit in the stands.

Whether or not he gets to keep them is another story. I hope for him the board is a she and looks like a real honest to goodness cheerleader; something he can put in his room to better help him sleep at night.


No comments: