Thursday, April 29, 2021

You See, I Have This Grandson

 All of our ten grandchildren are unique individuals. We've been blessed with four boys and six girls and their individual talents are special. Their age gap ranges from 16 down to seven and sometimes they present us with surprises.

One of the kids, Kingston, has always been a little above the rest when it comes to grammar and vocabulary along with innovative ideas.

When he was four he decided it upon hisself that the name of Kingston was weird. He didn't care for it one bit. Anyway, one fine summer day ol' Grandpa took him to the city park to play. He sauntered over to where two other kids were playing in a sandbox. One of the kids asked, "What's your name" and my guy announced, "It's Bob." He's been this way for a long time.

Last week we found out he had entered a short story writing contest. It was announced he was the grand prize winner and congratulations abound. Later in the day the school told the parents the winner was actually another kid. 

In order to encourage him in his writing endeavors I drove to Barnes & Noble and bought for him a book titled 'A Thesaurus For Students' and put it in the mail.

Today, in the mail, I received a 'thank you' letter. Mind you the boy is nine years old. If I had written a 'thank you' note when I was that age it would have gone like this: Der Grandma, thanx for the muny. The end.

For your enjoyment I'm including his letter. It, in my opinion, is a classic.

Dear Grandpa:

I bestow my complete gratitude upon you for giving me the thesaurus. I am confident that I will utilize it a lot. 

Everything is pleasant in Cincinnati. What is existence like in Columbus? 

From Kingston

P.S. If you thought I was prevaricating the entire thesaurus thing, I replaced most of the fundamental words with synonyms.

No comments: