Wednesday, July 27, 2022

The Mick Or Buzz Aldrin? Your Choice

 Do you collect memorabilia? I used to but as I've aged those visual memories of my youth have been thrown or given away. During my life I was a saver of campaign buttons dating back to 1912. My grandfather left me containers of pennies. The earliest dated to 1863. A few years ago I divided my treasure trove among my ten grandchildren. Knowing kids the way I do my suspicion is much of this historical largesse might be in the a city dump. That's okay. I know I disrespected valuable items of my youth. Heck, I had an autographed baseball from the 1957 World Champion Milwaukee Braves. An eleven year old brain can often be described as 'brain dead' and I was the epitome of this. The day I came home from Milwaukee I played catch with THE ball, threw an errant toss and it rolled down a drain sewer opening. Hey, who knew that team would be the only World Series Champion in their history?

Anyway, there's a big news story today. The flight jacket of U.S. astronaut, Buzz Aldrin, will be put up for auction. The asking price is around $2.7 million. This seems like a great deal of money until one puts it in perspective. There's going to be a sports memorabilia convention and one item for sale will be an original TOPPS Mickey Mantle baseball rookie card. I have to admit I probably had at least ten of these cards while in my youth. Some of them found their way onto my bicycle spokes. It, the card/spokes thing, was a fad in the Fifties much like---like------like, I dunno but it was in retrospect very stupid. 

The Mantle card is expected to fetch $10 million dollars. It just goes to show sports is the number one most important aspect of in this country. Mickey Mantle vs. Buzz Aldrin? It doesn't make sense unless you stop to think. Buzz Aldrin didn't know how to lay down a proper bunt and he didn't know how to 'take 2 and hit to right'. 

No comments: