Friday, September 22, 2023

Missing The 1950's

 I grew up in the 1950's. My very favorite activity in the 50's and 60's and into the 70's was playing baseball. I loved baseball and I loved everything about the game. I don't know when my love affair began but it was most likely around 1952 when I was in Shafer's Grocery store on 1st street in Boone, Iowa. It was one of those Mom & Pop stores. I was six years old and had 5 cents that was burning a hole in my pocket so I bought a packet of Topps baseball cards. When I opened the package the very first card I saw was a Billy Martin of the New York Yankees. I don't remember the next four players but I do recall putting the bubble gum in my mouth and for some unexplained reason a love affair with me and baseball card collecting over the next 12 years was born. Over the course of that period, and I'm certain hundreds if not thousands of kids did what I did, collecting baseball cards and especially Mickey Mantle cards who eventually let their moms throw them in the garbage. Stupid moms! Stupid us!

Anyway, during the 50's the New York Yankees employed a baseball player named Lawrence 'Yogi' Berra. He was extremely good at his trade as a catcher. He came out of St. Louis and aside from his baseball ability he was noted for is rather unique witticisms. Open the link and read his quotes. They are clever and also brilliant. For being so dumb Yogi sure was smart. 

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/03/the-50-greatest-yogi-berra-quotes

No comments: