Friday, April 14, 2017

It's About That 21,000 Lb. Bomb

The military used a GBU-43 (pictured), which weighs a staggering 21,600 pounds, and has earned the moniker 'Mother Of All Bombs

Mr. Hawkeye doesn't know much about munitions. Actually, I couldn't tell you the difference between a .38 or .45 calibre shell. The bomb we dropped on Afghanistan yesterday overwhelmed me in it's diminutive size, relatively speaking, along with it's ability to deliver such massive destruction.

Since I'm such a dufus on the subject of explosives, etc. I have a couple of questions. How was this bad boy loaded on the plane? Didn't I read it was a cargo craft? What lift-off was required to get the thing in the air and, finally, after the bomb was released and the weight eliminated how is it the airplane didn't lift to say---the Moon?

Feel free to offer your aeronautical wisdom. I'll be waiting.

No comments: