Tuesday, June 30, 2020

How To Stop A Conversation About Race

Let's say you're in a conversation with one who thinks there is massive racism in this country. Actually, it wouldn't be a conversation because from what I've seen the person in front of you would be in your face screaming.

If you asked the question, was there more racism in the 1950's or today what would they answer?
Ask them to supply this answer; Give me examples of systemic racism in your life. I doubt they'd come up with an answer. Better yet, I want one of those screaming racism to tell me one racist policy in this country. Couldn't do it could they?

I've recently become reacquainted with two former student/ athletes from the 1980's.  One of these is now the manager of a Major League AA farm team. Both were great pals. They still are. One is white, the other is black.I enjoyed being around them immensely because they brought a special energy and enthusiasm to our squad.

The black man works in DeKalb, Illinois. He's successful in life. He married a white women and they have children. Yet, he made a post yesterday about racism. It said, "I come across racism every day".

Seriously? Every day? I wondered what he meant. Is he made to sit on the back of the bus? When he goes into a restaurant does he have to sit in a segregated area? When in a city park does he have to drink out of a fountain with a sign on it reading, 'For blacks only'?

Racism is all in one's perception. If my wife nags me to take out the garbage am I an oppressed husband? I would be if I went on Facebook and wrote, "It's hell being nagged by my wife everyday" and left it at that.

You get my drift, right?

No comments: