Wednesday, October 28, 2020

I Want A Winner. I Want Donald Trump

  In the past week the readership on this blog has risen exponentially most likely due to what will occur on November 3. My question is why aren't these readers around more often? But, I can live with it.

A month or so ago I wrote a piece on Trump and why people do or do not give him their support; why his followers get upset with him. So, for those newbies now reading I'll repeat some items written earlier for mental digestion and to shake the cobwebs out of those who read earlier. 

I received a message from a young man, well a young man in his fifties, who played baseball for me in the 80's. He's an ardent Bidenite but I'm sure he doesn't know why. He is a black man and married to a white woman. He lives in Illinois. From his message I'm positve he does not know the issues, learn the differences between the candidates and the Republican and Demcrat philosophies. He is what is called a low information voter. Luckily for the both of us he's a wonderful man and I love him dearly.

What Chuck imparted to me and the reason he can't vote Trump is 'He has torn the country apart'. This is the now mantra of anti-Trumpers. "Chuck", I asked, "specifically how has he torn the country apart? Please tell me specific examples of what he's done. I reminded him that Trump has greatly benefitted the Black community by establishing empowerment zones in our major cities to the tune of $500 billion. That he has provided more money to black colleges than all presidents combined. He has destroyed the 1994 prison bill of Joe Biden allowing for, primarily blacks, to be released from jail for petty crimes for years with little hope of seeing the light of day. Chuck needs to check the unemployment rates for Blacks and Hispanics under Trump before the PanicDema; lowest in history. I'm sure I wasted my words and only exercised my fingers but I felt I'd done my duty.

When Chuck told me Trump had divided the country what he really means is Democrats think he has divided the country. I doubt he asked the same of Republican.

If one hates Trump they can come up with a myriad of reasons to convince themselves he's a boob and bad for the nation. When Her Majesty asks why I didn't do this, that or the other thing I amaze myself with how many pitiful excuses come flying out of my pie hole.

The Washington Examiner, a conservative news publication, came out in support of the president. However, the managing editor said he would not vote Trump because he doesn't 'act presidential'. Exactly, what does this mean? What, specifically, does it take to act presidential? The editor stated Biden acted presidential. A number of newspapers have touted Trump's successes but they won't endorse him because he doesn't act presidential. Maybe he's criticized for this because he isn't a POLITICIAN! Politicians act presidential because they know how to suck up to their constitutents. In other words they can lie with a straight face.

I can't tell you the number of Republican friends of mine who say, "If only he would stop tweeting".  Know what, I could give a flying rat's you-know-what. I don't care. This guy has been lambasted by the media beginning fifteen minutes after his inauguration calling for his impeachment by the dreaded Washington Post. Every day in every way he has been attacked by the media and every one of these attacks has led to failure. Think not? What was the result of Hilllary's Steele Dossier? How well did the Mueller investigation perform? 

The major complaints against Trump are that he's a bully. He's arrogant. He's insulting. He called some countries 'shi*holes.(Folks, Haiti, especially after the Clinton's failed them is a shi*hole country).

My Little League coach was the best baseball man I ever knew. He taught me more about the game between the ages of 10-12 than I could imagine. I played shortstop, pitcher and was a catcher. At the age of 13 I became a catcher all the way through college and after. My LL coach gave me more baseball knowledge than all my other coaches combined. If one of us youngsters screwed up he got on us in a bad way. It was easy to be afraid of him. It was also nice when he put his arms around us and gave a hug. It was called tough love. The guy could be a real bully. Some days I absolutely detested him but in the all in all I would have taken a bullet for the guy.

My 1970-71 basketball team at Storm Lake St. Mary's Iowa was a good one; finished the season at 17-5. We were defeated by a team in the District Finals that went to the State Tournament. Folks, I was demanding. I could be a bully. I could be an arrogant ass. I received a phone call from one of those players a couple of months ago. He told me he was glad I was his coach.

 I stood up for my kids. One of my players won a scholarship to Briar Cliff College in Sioux City, Iowa. The coach there called up our principal to ask about the kid. He told him that he, himself, wasn't the easiest guy to play for. He yelled a lot and demanded more. He asked the principal if the kid could handle that kind of environment. My principal told him, "It won't be a problem. Our coach has been a good training ground for you.

Verbal bullies can be real bastards. Bullies can be arrogant and they can cause a visceral hatred.

Bobby Knight as coach at the Univ. of Indiana had a reptutation, from the media outside Bloomington, Indiana, as a 1st class jerk. He could be loud, obnoxious, profane and brutally condescending. I visited, per his permission, one of his practices. It was like going to hell and back.

My now deceased next door neighbor played both ways on the Ohio State University National Championship football team under Woody Hayes. His name was Russell Bowermaster(google his mother Mary Bowermaster. She became a legend at the 1960 Rome Olympics) I called him Doc because that's what he was. After he graduated and while attending med school he was Woody Hayes freshman football coach. Coach Hayes is considered a genius. Doc told me Coach Hayes was most likely manic depressive. He could fly off the handle in a nanosecond. He was brutal with players and coaches on an almost daily basis. But, his players loved him because they knew, in the long run, he had their backs.

One of the greatest coaches in the National Football League was Vince Lombardi. He had to be special because the Super Bowl is named after him. Guess what? Coach Lombardi was not exactly Mr. Nice. He was as demanding as was allowed. One of his players, the Hall of Famer, Willie Davis, said about the coach: "He treated us all the same. Like dogs."

Do you have the picture about all these people. They weren't like Mr. Rogers. The surely weren't of the ilk of Pee-Wee Herman. They were hardcore. They were tough on their players and demanded physicality beyond what they thought they could endure. They demanded absolute perfection in their tasks even though we know perfection is not within our grasp. They certainly weren't presidential. They were braggerts in some cases. They were bullies. They were fellas who many wouldn't fell comfortable hanging around with and  socializing.

But they all have one very special characteristic in spite of all their flaws. They won. They won and they won and they won. They did it the right way, too. They were winners and in turn their players or in the case of Trump his followers became winners because of his policies. 

Do you see how ridiculous it is to say being or acting presidential is in reality a bogus argument?

I want a winner for president. I want to feel safe for my wife, my children and my grandchildren.

Robert Gates, a brilliant man and Sec. of Defense under Obama said this about Joe Biden in his newly released book. "He hasn't been right on foreign policy in four decades". That's heady stuff, folks, and it should give us a great deal of pause.

When Donald Trump took over ISIS was on the march terrorizing the Middle East. Obama scoffed at their strength. He referred to them as the JayVee team. That JayVee team burned and beheaded people without compunction. Trump was the recipient of seven wars when he took office. Not any more. He is not a globalist as is Biden. Today, we are wrapping up our last conflict in Afghanistan. The boys will be home in January. It's called winning and there will be many young me not killed. Isn't that a plus for all? There's a reason Trump has been nominated for three Nobel Peace prizes. Did anyone ever believe this president could bring three Muslim nations to the peace table to recognize the existence of Israel? This is not only huge it's huger than huge but somehow the MSM failed to report on it. Imagine if Barack Obama pulled this off. The media would be clamoring for his face on Mt. Rushmore.

Donald Trump, a sometimes obnoxious, arrogant, bragging dufus but he is my kind of dufus. I pray it stays this way.

No comments: