Friday, September 30, 2022

A Word To The Wise From Someone Who Wasn't

 Like most of us in the 'checkout generation' I'll reflect on my life as a youngster growing up in Central Iowa. Since my mother was a nurse at the local county hospital she was led to believe doctors could do no wrong and what they said could have easily been carved onto the Ten Commandments. It was the same with the nuns at Sacred Heart elementary. Whenever we heard the words 'Sister said' it became gospel. I remember one time when I was in the first grade I came home from school and told my parents Sister Calasanctus said, "God was a string bean." Well, my ears betrayed me because what she actually uttered was 'God is a Supreme Being" and beings as I was a twerp of six my vocabulary and understanding was severely limited.

Regardless, as we move along in life we're trained to believe whatever we're told by those who have at least six months more education than us. As an example, ten years ago I was visiting a neurologist who took a brain scan. He searched and searched and finally found a remnant of brain matter then took a photo and I awaited the results.

An hour or so later she told me I had onset dementia. She noticed a small blue line in front of my cerebrum and gave me the news. I guess this indicated something but, hey, she's the boss so I believed her. So, for ten years I daily took a pill named Donezepil. 

I'm not a good sleeper. It takes me an hour and a day to fall into the land of slumber and when I do WW III breaks out in my mind. Folks, I dream things never before seen in horror movies. I'd be involved in murders. I'd slash people dead, shoot them as fast as I could load a revolver. Sometimes, I'd wake up in a panic. Sleeping was not fun.

Last year I had my semi-annual visit with my general practitioner and the subject of Donezepil was brought up when he matter of factly told me, "You know, Donezepil can give people terrible nightmares." Say what!

Know what? I blame myself for this nonsense. I believed my doctors the same way I trusted Sister Mary Calasanctus. I didn't read the directions and I never looked at the side effects. I stopped taking that little pill and within a week I was dreamless and it's stayed that way. I fall asleep then I awaken and my mind has no memory of any activity. Why, it's almost like I don't have a brain. Imagine that.

There's a long range lesson in this post. I'm sure you know what I'm referring to, right? 

No comments: