Friday, November 20, 2015

It's No Wonder Colege Students Are Irresponsible

In watching TV last week, someone and I can't remember who, said the human brain isn't fully developed until the age of 25. By 'fully developed' they meant total development, physically and with a full sense of maturity.

I like this theory because it explains those actions I did in which I nearly killed myself. Most of these immature excursions occurred while I was in college but the years from 12 to 18 were filled with adventures rivaling anyone who partook in the First Crusades. God had to be on my shoulder considering the nonsensical activities in which I participated (mostly while in a drunken stupor).

If this is the case, the 25-year old braintheory, the #BlackLivesMatter crowd has a built in excuse for dufusness for the rest of their lives. They'll be able to say, "Hey, it wasn't my fault". This is like boys and girls having unprotected sex. When she gets pregnant she can say, "Hey, it wasn't my fault. He wasn't wearing a condom". And the guy counters with, "It wasn't my fault because (fill-in-the-blank)".

I don't really buy this 'brain maturity' story for all irresponsible actions. By the age of six most of us are taught the difference from right and wrong. By age ten we've even been indoctrinated into the Ten Commandments. By the age of twenty we all know, or should know, if we break the law we're going to have to suffer the consequences. If we lip off to someone chances are good we'll catch a fat lip or worse. Some have more common sense than others from the get go.

So, why is it we have so many social problems in the country? Darned if I know. But I do have a brain and after all these years it's fully developed. It's why when there's a war they never send us old people. Youngsters are too stupid and/or immature to figure this out.

News in Health, September 2005 - (NIH)Until age 25, the part of our brain that governs judgment, decision-making and impulse control is still under construction, so a parent’s job as “foreman” ...
newsinhealth.nih.gov/2005/September2005/docs/01features_02.htm - 16k - 

No comments: