Monday, November 30, 2015

To Kill Or Not To Kill

I am the proud owner of a classic 12 gauge shotgun. At least that's what my neighbor told me. He goes hunting all over the Midwest so who am I to argue? The weapon was purchased from an avid hunting friend of mine three years ago.

The piece of weaponry was in my home for a couple of years then Her Majesty said I couldn't keep it unless I bought a gun case. I didn't have the money so I forwarded it onto my son. The last time I visited him he gave me a tutorial. These do me no good at all. I'm the kind of guy who needs a lesson in the field. I'm the kind of guy who needs a lesson on the use of a lawn mower and those are the kind without an engine.

I don't know if I'll ever fire the gun. I'd probably shoot myself. Anyone, for home intruders, I DO have  a weapon. It's just that it's not in my house. Not to worry. I have many baseballs and can still plunk an intruder from thirty yards.

The reason for my opening statement is because I read an article in the Columbus Dispatch from Sunday, Nov. 29. The piece dealt with the money brought into the state coffers by hunters. The sum was $840 million dollars. Considering Colorado takes in $60 million from marijuana sales Ohio's cash bonanza must be a God send.

Individually, each hunter spends approximately $2,500 out of their pockets to pursue the four legged species.

I'm sure most all of you have heard the downside of deer hunting, especially from the PETA type folks. In reality, there are 34 million Bambi's running around our forests. Even more so, there are hundreds of thousands nesting in metropolitan neighborhoods as illustrated by the number of plants devastated from my wife's garden. Not to mention the two who decided to take out their anger and/or stupidity on two of my vehicles.

Hunter's barely make a dent in their total population bringing down around 6 million in a season. My Oklahoma buddy, Big Buff, told me this and when it comes to hunting he's the best and most knowledgeable person in America so I have to believe him.

To further illustrate 200 people yearly are killed in auto accidents while colliding with these critters, not a good number. I would suppose if you happen to be a morbid individual you'd say this is good because these deaths drive the economy; funeral homes, auto insurance, auto repair companies and all that jazz.

Did I mention the food provided fills not only tables for families of the stalkers but even more is donated to shelters for the homeless.

A word of advice on deer hunting: "Ready, aim, fire".

No comments: