Thursday, May 4, 2017

The Loss Of Family Values: It May Not Be What You Think

Fort he 'learned scholars' in today's society there are the normal reasons given for the demise of American values and morality. Roe v. Wade is easily accepted from its inception in the 1970's. It was also about this time women decided they needed economic independence. They left the home and went into the workplace to seek to either add to the family income or feel a better self-worth---or both. May of these women met other men other than their husbands creating a massive increase in divorce. As of today 50% of marriages end in this fashion. Many women, with money in their pockets, realized financial independence. Please don't drop an atom bomb on me for coming down hard on the female population but it is what it is.

Another reason given for the lack of values was the Supreme Court's elimination of prayer in public schools. You'll get no argument from this guy. It was a tragedy to eliminate any mention of God from our lives. Heaven knows there are places where the Pledge of Allegiance is verboten.

Maybe, just maybe, I'm over simplifying. It wouldn't be the first time nor will it be the last. For instance, the most important feature in any society is the family. This dates to prehistoric days. It's the smallest unit of society. One can't have a full term baby without one sperm and one egg.

Allow me to explain. I'm coaching high school baseball after a 30 year hiatus from coaching. Even though I'm a volunteer coach it is time consuming. Last night I walked in the door at 8:30 pm, a six hour day considering pregame preparation, the bus ride to and fro and game time. This is a normal day for me.

I'm lucky in that Her Majesty always has a very fine dinner prepared for us. Last evening exhaustion had over taken me. I asked, "Do you want to eat at the table or in the TV room"? And that's when it hit me.

Is it possible our lack of moral decline in the U.S. started before the 60's? I'm not certain because I'm not one of those 'egghead' sociologists but I do have a memory dating to the '50's.

Do you remember early television and those wonderful shows? If you don't scroll down to what is presented on Me TV. They have the best of the very best wholesome television in the history of the industry but these shows helped create a situation whereby families didn't sit down at the dinner table. They didn't start their meal with a prayer and they didn't talk about the days events. They helped eliminate familial communication. You know what I mean. It's the way Ward, June, Wally and The Beaver talked to each other while breaking bread.

And what miniscule invention brought this on? My suggestion is it was the introduction of the TV tray. It helped destroy the most important feature of family life; that one time of the day when everyone was together, doing what mom's, dad's and children are supposed to do; to be a family.

I may not be right on this but I also know I'm not totally wrong.

If you think television is not up to snuff today read what Newton Minnow, the head of the FCC had to say about it speaking to the National Broadcaster's Association in 1961.

"I have confidence in your health. But not in your product. I am here to uphold and protect the public interest. What do we mean by "the public interest?" Some say the public interest is merely what interests the public. I disagree.
When television is good, nothing--not the theater, not the magazines or newspapers--nothing is better.
But when television is bad, nothing is worse. I invite you to sit down in front of your television set when your station goes on the air and stay there without a book, magazine, newspaper, profit and-loss sheet or rating book to distract you--and keep your eyes glued to that set until the station signs off. I can assure you that you will observe a vast wasteland."

Damnable TV trays!

No comments: