Sunday, October 15, 2017

Is This Racism

In this morning's Cedar Rapids(Iowa) Gazette I read an account of yesterdays thrashing of Kansas by the Iowa State Cyclones.

Iowa State's leading rusher, David Montgomery, was quoted as saying about one of his teammates, "Trever Ryen,” Montgomery said, “is one of the fastest white persons I’ve ever seen in my life.”
Then it hit me. What if Ryen had said, "David Montgomery is one of the fastest black guys I've seen in my life" my guess is there would have been an outcry from the leftist crowd.
Personally, I find nothing wrong with Montgomery's statement unless one thinks he should have left the 'white' out of it. 
When my white son was in the 8th grade he ran anchor on an 800 meter relay track team that earned a third place finish in the nation. The 3rd leg was run by a black kid named Patrick Brown who went on to play football at the University of Kansas. Patrick, who was a frequent visitor in our home, always said(laughingly) how it bothered him that a little white kid ran anchor on their team. And we all laughed.
I'm thankful the Gazette ran Montgomery's statement as is. Unfortunately, there will be follow up gripes and complaints from folks who have nothing better to do in life than complain.

No comments: