Tuesday, April 13, 2021

It Isn't The Fault Of The Kids

 One of my very best friends was a long time football coach at Mukwonago High School in Wisconsin. He's in the Hall of Fame and won a state championship around fifteen years ago. One day while visiting I asked him, "Are kids any better today or worse?" He gave me his response and was qualified to do so since he'd been teaching for 35 years. He said, "The good kids are better than ever and the bad kids are worse than ever. I've remembered his statement for a long time but never asked my why.

Since I had 20 years of classroom experience in high schools and also coached that long I 'sort of' consider myself knowledgeable about teenagers. Too often, while talking with others I'll comment of the pitiful state of youngsters; they're rude, inconsiderate, criminals, druggies, etc. You know the drill.

Today, April 13 2021 I've changed my mind about our youth. Yes, the crime rate is up and kids can be a real pain in the ass at school and walking down the street but one has to ask why. 

Polling and statistics bother me a great deal and I don't put much stock in them but I listened to a valid source who deals with the problems of society today.

In the United States 40% of the homes do not have a dad in the house. In our major metropolitan cities 80% of Black homes do not have a father presence. All across the nation 60% of homes are without a dad.

That is so scary but I feel it explains a great deal about the social demise of this nation.

I'm going to slightly veer to the situation in Brooklyn Center, Minnesota. Deaunte Walker is no different than thousand of other Black kids. He came from a broken home. There was never a masculine influence to teach him right from wrong. And now we're going to go through massive riots and destruction from our Black friends because 'The Man' is a racist.

If the Minnesota kid had only followed orders he'd still be alive. It's a statistic but-----a police officer has an 18 to one better chance of being shot by a black than the other way around. Black youth make up 6% of the population but, and here's the kicker, they commit 60% of the murders. 


No comments: