Sunday, May 23, 2021

Ramblings Of An Idle Mind

 The so-called experts tell us it takes twenty-one days to break a habit; habits that might be smoking or stuffing one's face with ice cream or some such other negatives. On the other hand, I've discovered it takes those same amount of days to do the positive.

As you may know I'm the opposite of bears when it comes to falling asleep. I'll toss, turn, shake, rattle and roll and I'm awake until 3 am. At least that was the case up until six weeks ago. I've gotten in the habit of putting my head on the pillow and praying. Every night I pray to parents now deceased, in-laws, cousins, grandparents and dearly departed friends. Then, I'll think about all my children and grandchildren, picturing them in my mind and pray for their safety. It's become a 'good' habit and in short order I'll be sawing Z's.

This Sunday is a special day in the Catholic Church. It's the Feast of the Pentecost and is considered the day our faith became official. 

I've begun attending a new church, St. Peter's in Columbus, Ohio. It was my choice even though The Queen still opts for our liberal one. One of my least favorite words is 'diversity' because it signifies a great divide in our society that isn't there. Please, please don't consider I'm in the least racist and I'll tell you why. St. Peter's is made up of Blacks, Hispanics and some, not many, white folks. Get this. The church even has a Sunday evening Mass said in Swahili. I enjoy the priest and his sermons so I'll continue to attend and that's a good thing.

 Anyway, I was sitting in my pew this morning and scanned the congregants. I'd say 85% wore masks in some fashion or another. By that I mean half of the men of around 200 had theirs down under their noses. I never understood the significance of this. 

Let's talk about flatulence for a moment. I researched the subject of humans and that normal expelling of gases and found out men, on average, pass gas into the atmosphere 12 times daily. Women, on the other hand only seven times which proves the old adage than men are more full of crap than females. Anyway, the majority of people in the country do not go Kommando. So, if humans wear underwear then pants over them and people can still smell the effects from 15 feet away after an emission what good are masks? Just sayin.

It's 90 degrees in Dublin today. I had Charlie out for his morning walk and a lady walked by and told me how hot it was. I didn't say anything but remembered last January and February.

Fat update: I'm now down 25 with 15 more to go to get to the magical 185 lb. mark. Even so, I've decided a person, like me, is still overweight when they tuck in their shirt, sit down then stand up and the shirttail has been pulled out of the pants. 

I had a buddy in Ottumwa, Iowa back in the 70's. He told me it must be horrible not to wake up with a hangover because these people know they'll feel better as the day goes on. Non-drinkers always feel the same.






No comments: