Saturday, May 29, 2021

They're Heeeere!

 It's finally happening in Dublin, Ohio. The Brood X Cicada infestation has arrived and frankly I'm quite disappointed. It's still early in the game but weren't the noise decibels supposed to be so high it would drive people running and screaming in the streets. So far no noise but they are in evidence.


I've had the opportunity to squish a few. Her Majesty has a special tree located on our parking and the critters were eating the leaves so we had to put a net over it. And for some reason their glomming onto the tan posts out back that hold up the upper deck. I don't know why because they aren't supposed to eat wood.

So far my biggest concern and it shouldn't be is to keep Charlie from gorging himself. I read about a confection joint in Baltimore that was soaking them in chocolate and from what I've heard they're making a fortune. Personally, I'm not into bugs but I suppose the hotsy totsy East Coast liberal snobs think they enjoy them at their cocktail parties. So be it. I'll take summer sausage and crackers, thank you.

There's a dude out of the Univ of West Virginia whose life's career is driving around the country studying these critters as they pursue a short lived sex dance. And to think people laughed at me for being a physical education major. At least I learned how to tape an ankle. I'd like to see some egghead tape a Cicadas ankle. 


No comments: