Thursday, June 23, 2022

R.I.P. Andy Of Mayberry

 I'll be willing to wager a social security check most folks in their seventies enjoy oldie television. I'm a fan. There are a couple channels that carry Andy of Mayberry, Father Knows Best and Leave It To Beaver. Know what these three shows from the fifties and sixties have in common? The dad's aren't shown as blithering idiots. Think not? I don't know what caused the tide to turn but beginning in the mid-seventies and eighties the mom's were portrayed as Einstein's and the dads as Mortimer Snerd types. If you don't believe me then think of Mr. Tanner on Alf. 

So, yesterday I was watch Andy and Barney when a commercial came on promoting, and these are her words, 'gays and queers'. A young lady was extolling the virtues of being queer and how we have to make sure her type weren't discriminated against or attacked. I have to look up the corporate execs of TVland but as it turns out it's Paramount which is not surprising because Hollywood leads the world in perverts. 

I wonder if Andy was gay either in Mayberry or in real life. I doubt it. As for Barney the jury's still out. If you watch Andy's show have you noticed there was only one of the main characters who was married. It was Otis and he was drunk most of the time so what does that tell you?

No comments: