Friday, August 26, 2022

It's One Way To Look At It


Way back in 1968 I graduated from college(barely) with debt. It wasn't astronomical but still. I'd just gotten married and still owed the government $50 a month. I'd borrowed the money under what was called the National Defense Education Act. One of the parts of the bill was that if I became a teacher I could get off with paying half the debt. Obviously, it would have been $100 per month had I not been in the classroom. At the time I was making $7,200 yearly so my take home was around $450 per month. 

My new wife and I came up with the payments. What a sucker. A couple years later I found out thousands of people had bailed out on what they owed and were walking the streets without fear of going to jail.

The great majority of these grifters became doctors and lawyers. This is how the phrase, 'The more things change the more they stay the same' came to be.

No comments: