Saturday, December 23, 2023

Best Wishes To All

 It's been since May 30 that CeeCee became a permanent resident in our home. I have to admit I adopted the lass to fill a void in my heart over losing our Cairn Terrier, Charlie, the previous February. Most of my faithful readers are aware our new 'child' was five years old and lived a pitiful life in a Kentucky community located on the banks of the Ohio River across from Portsmouth, Ohio. We adopted her via a rescue organization located in Columbus. 

Her given name was Cookie and she was the saddest little dog I had ever seen. She kept her head down, and was afraid of anything that breathed or moved. I changed her moniker immediately because, to me,  it denoted a floozy, a trashy chick. I wanted something more feminine; a French sounding name perhaps so CeeCee she became. 

The first five months of our little girl's stay was a struggle. She was very fearful of some adult men and if approached would growl and charge at them as if she wanted to rip out their throats. This has changed. She will now cuddle up to anyone especially if they're holding her most special gift---treats.

I don't think CeeCee will ever accustom herself to other dogs. These cause her a great deal of fear. My uneducated suspicion is her previous owner kept her secluded in a tiny apartment and she was never allowed to socialize. But, she's improved in this area. She's so much happier being alive and that was the reason I brought her home. I wanted her to have a place where she was loved and she is that.

Sometimes my pooch will surprise me with what she knows and can do. For instance, a couple weeks ago she was in my bedroom doing nothing then ran downstairs and returned with a squeak toy and dropped it at my feet. It was play time. She doesn't mind at all going into her crate at promptly 10:30 at night and she does it without prompting. Naturally, there are special 'bribery' treats placed inside to entice her but it works. CeeCee absolutely loves Her Majesty. As for me she knows I'm her protector and if danger is on the horizon she'll jump on my lap to safety. At night she'll be in my bed under the covers and snuggle my legs until it's crate time. CeeCee understands and responds to six or seven basic commands and she picked them up quickly. Like most dogs our gal loves going for rides in the car. All I have to do is say, "Go for a ride" and she's at the front door. She's come to learn that her time to perform tricks is 2 pm. If I forget she'll give me the look as in 'let's get this thing started so I can have my afternoon treats'. For her the dinner bell rings at 4 pm. There's no reason to tell her. She waits by her dish at that time to let us know she knows.

Anyway, I was talking to her on her morning walk and she asked me to give seasons greetings to all. She's become an integral part of our family. We feel so blessed.




No comments: