Thursday, December 28, 2023

This 'N That From Dublin Ohio

 A question to begin with: what do you do when it's 3:30 am and you're in bed staring at the ceiling? What I did was get out of bed, stagger to the kitchen, put coffee grounds and water in the pot then turn on the Hallmark Channel. I have friends who think I'm nutso for watching the channel but it's soothing, I don't have to think and you can watch the last ten minutes knowing the guy will kiss the girl and everyone lives happily ever after.

I hate to keep kicking the proverbial dead dog regarding today's high prices but I can't let this pass. Yesterday, Her Majesty and I 'celebrated' our anniversary by going out to breakfast. Don't laugh. It's what old people do who have pretty much done it all. We went to a restaurant not close to the prices expected at the Waldorf-Astoria. I ordered 3 pancakes which were about 4" in diameter along with two sausage patties and a cup of coffee. My Lady had scrambled eggs with some type of Italian glop ladled on top along with fried potatoes and coffee. The bill came to $53.00. I was incredulous by the cost. I looked around the restaurant and saw families with small children and wondered how they could afford it. 

Yesterday, while walking CeeCee at 7 am, I noticed an aspect of nature I do not recall seeing in my almost 78 years. We've had a combination of wet and warmer than usual weather for December in Dublin town which means the ground temperatures are spring-like. As we walked along I couldn't help but notice the thousands of earthworms on the street and sidewalk. Somebody contact Al Gore and get his opinion.

Today and tomorrow will be one of packing clothes for our trip to St. Augustine, Florida. We'll be out of town for two months. My major concern is, since I've recently replaced my Subaru Outback with a Crosstek, is if I have to room for what we need. CeeCee's necessities seem to be the major concern for space. The way I see it it's either her junk or that of The Queen's.Decisions, decisions, decisions.

On the trip down we will be stopping in Raleigh North Carolina to see a man I have not spoken to since 1964. He is a high school classmate. Over the past four or five years we've communicated via the internet or phone frequently but I'm excited about the face to face. The very best part of the trip is I know I won't have to drive through downtown Chicago.

My New Year's wish, one of them, is I do hope the Ohio State Buckeyes defeat Missouri in the Cotton Bowl. You folks outside Ohio have no idea what it's like being around these people when they lose. I also want Iowa and Iowa State to be victorious in their bowls, however, if they lose I can always fall back on what Chicago Cub fans always said, 'Wait 'til next year'.





No comments: