Sunday, October 21, 2018

Milk Anyone?

I went to the Dollar Store next to where I hit golf balls to buy a quart of 1% milk. I had inadvertently bought 2% and the Queen told me we don't drink that kind anymore. I suspect there's too much fat or carbs in it. I would have bought skim except that it tastes yucky.

The milk cost me $1.19. I thought it was fairly reasonable. We don't drink a lot of milk. Mostly it's put in prepared food. Water is our drink of choice. My neurologist is always on me about being dehydrated so I'm supposed to slug down 8 or more glasses of water a day. I hate this. It causes me to hit the head more than I desire, like once every ten minutes.

Cows stand in the milking parlour at the Lake Breeze Dairy farm in Malone, Wis., on May 31, 2016. (Daniel Acker/Bloomberg)

I think milk is a trendy item. Dannon Yogurt had the market on milk products a few years ago. It was a health thing. Trends come and go. In the 90's most golfer smoked cigars on the course. I did. And I belonged to a couple of cigar companies based out of the Carolina's and Florida. But cigars have gone by the wayside, too.

The government and farmers are greatly concerned about milk prices being so low. They've encouraged farmers to drain the teats then dump the contents of the udder to raise prices. This is what FDR in the 30's when farmers let their fields stand empty hoping for the supply and demand to raise the prices. By the way, gas prices in Dublin, Ohio are at $2.29. Things go up and things go down.

The lack milk isn't that big a deal to me. People will move on to other beverages; beer anyone?

No comments: