Tuesday, November 17, 2020

We Don't Often Hate But When We Do We Hate Like Poison

 When I began my first career as a teacher and coach I was driven to find mentors who had been around for awhile who could teach me the ropes, so to speak. My first mentor was Kenneth Vance who was the principal of New Hartford High School in Iowa. It was a tiny high school of 90 but Mr. Vance imparted great knowledge upon me.

In 1971, then married with a one year old child, we moved from Storm Lake, Iowa to Ottumwa. It was daunting to say the least going from a high school of 200 to that of the largest in the state housing 2,000 students in the top three grades. New teachers are accorded the responsibility of trying to instruct the not so bright and not the best citizens in town. This gift was given to me.

It didn't take long to realize if I was going to thive and prosper I'd need to find an experienced instructor who been through the wars. I found one in the name of Harold 'Corky' Stevens. I came to love man because he spoke truths without fear of retribution.

Once, Cork told me a story about a job interview he had in search of a teaching/coaching position. He was seated on a school stage at a table surround by school board members along with the superintendant and principal. After these folks had questioned him for a time a curtain was pulled back and in the auditorium were citizens of the community who were allowed to ask questions. According to Cork, the first question was, "Do you drink and smoke?" Cork's answer, "Not well enough to teach it." He didn't get the job.

One bit of wisdom Mr. Stevens left with me was quite succint. He stated, "I don't often hate but when I do I hate like poison."

I was thinking about Cork this morning in regard to the presidential election. The Democrats have gravely underestimated the Conservatives in this country. I am firmly convinced they think we are going to fall in line and follow along. They are wrong and as an example; The Republicans have to date flipped 12 House seats. These Republicans are Pro-life, women, minorities and veterans. If you re-read this past sentence it will have greater meaning. 

Even if 'What's His Name' takes over from Trump there's going to be heck to pay. You can count on it.

No comments: