Thursday, May 6, 2021

Legal Gambling In Ohio. What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

 The state legislature in Ohio has finally agreed on one subject. They're calling for legal gambling in the Buckeye state. Why is it these clowns don't look back in history to study the results of other boondoggles?

Forty-seven years ago Ohio instituted the lottery. Its purpose was to create more money for public education. Each and every year the lottery commission forks over to the schools $500 million dollars. Since the inception of the lottery Ohio public schools have received somewhere in the neighborhood of $26 billion dollars.

The big questions are: Are our kids receiving the benefits of this largesse? Are the schools producing a magnificent product? Well, it depends on the location of said school. Those in wealthy areas thrive. The ones in poorer areas still suffer. I don't know how the $500 million impacts are educational systems but I'm certain there's room for improvement. Hmmm! Could it be more money might solve the problem?

MJ Hawkeye isn't one to give his knowledge on gambling. The reason is I don't. It's for the same reason I don't know card games. My dad spent his time playing cards sitting in a bar and always had bills with certain numbers and pictures on them sitting on the table and they weren't Washington's.

I've spent money gambling and when I do it's at the video poker machine. My limit is $100 and when that's gone so am I. It sounds easy but for me but one can only imagine about the many numbers of people who spend grocery money hoping for the big strike.



No comments: