Sunday, May 2, 2021

The Things A Guy Learns On A Sunday Morning

 The country in India has been grabbing the world headlines these past couple of weeks. They have the highest COVID death and sickness rates in the world. Plus, our leader has mandated no visiting from people in the Sub-continent. When Trump did this to China Joey B. branded him a xenophobe( I like that word. It reminds me of a musical instrument).

At any rate, the Council Bluffs Cowboy forward information for my digestion of the country of India. Probably, most of us have preconceived notions about the place, stereotypical, if you will. Cobras being enticed out of a basket by a flute playing native sporting a turban would be one. The cobra sways back and forth to what ever tune comes out of the licorice stick. Did you ever watch the award winning film, Slumdog Millionaire? It's quite entertaining. So, what do I think of when I see it? Mostly abandoned children running around in droves trying to exist on fallen bread crumbs.

Did you know India still has a caste system established by the Hindu faith? If I'm not mistaken there are ten castes and Vishnu forbid if anyone marries out of their respective societal place. Families have been known to murder a daughter she marries an 'inferior'. And it still occurs today. The higher ones caste the more obnoxious they are. I went to a bank in Dublin one day and an Indian woman literally dressed me down because I didn't sign the back of my check properly. 

If Joe can say, "You can't go into a Dunkin' Donuts without hearing a slight Indian accent" then I can say, "Doesn't it seem as though Indian migrants talk as though the all graduated from the Univ. of Broken English?"

In twenty years as an on the road salesman travelling around eight states and the province of Ontario, Canada I can confidently proclaim that 90% of motel managers came from the land of Brahma bulls. 

This might be a shocker for you. The population of India is 1.2 billion people. Yikes! That is a whole bunch compared to our 330 million. I remember when population gurus told us our population was going to destroy the United States. What the heck, noted soothsayer, Bill Gates is telling us this in 2021. Continuing on-------the size of India in square miles is one-third the size of the United States. Whenever I encounter a person from India I don't have to ask the city of their birth. I know they all answer Mumbai. 

Those people should stop worrying about COVID and start practicing birth control.

No comments: