Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Those Were The Days

 Growing up in the 50's was an experience in cultural changer. Every generation goes through it especially with the youths. Boone, Iowa was no different. My parents were children of Big Band music. As I've grown older I've continued to be a huge fan. I mean, who doesn't love Benny Goodman's 'Sing, Sing, Sing'?

Of course, we kids of the era had to dump on the music of our parents and glom onto this new thing called Rock 'n Roll. I purchased my first R 'n R record in 1955. It was done by Bill Haley and the Comments and was title Rock Around The Clock. The price was 99 cents for the disc and knowing nothing about music I told the lady at the record shop I wanted something that jumped. And she sold me the record.

One other change in our lives came about because of actor James Dean and Elvis. It was the hair styles. 

I snagged this pic from my buddy, The Council Bluffs Cowboy. You'll recognize Tony Dow.


Personally, I was more of a fan of what was called Butch Wax. I used it by the gallons. The worst part of it was when one was in school and sat next to the heaters. That juice would constantly run down my forehead and mess up my papers. 

I very much looked ridiculous with my 'flat top boogie' and forward comb boogie' style of haircut but nobody said a word to me, not even my straight laced grandfather.


No comments: